Often, if not always, New year is welcomed in with a heap of enthusiastic, or rather not-so-enthusiastic, resolutions. These dreaded undertakings, which we feel so inclined to make after a few glasses of bubbly and a hearty rendition of Auld Lang Syne, are always the soon-to-be regretted commitments to which we are completely and undeniably uncommitted.
As January falls away and February quickly approaches. The resolve which we held onto so firmly only a month ago slowly crumbles. And the urge to do nothing takes hold. Once again it seems we are destined to end up spending our free time on the couch watching day-time T.V.
So before the novelty of this year’s New Year’s resolutions wear off, we wanted to put together a few ways for you to re-invent your 2014 kitchen. So you can finally fulfil your promise to ‘do something with that space’ and put a big tick on that 2014 to-do-list.
The ‘something’ for that space
Our ‘somethings’ were inspired by House Beautiful, tips for 10 Kitchen Details That Wow and 14 Kitchen Backsplash Ideas
– Mirrors and Mosaic. Space and light are a must for your 2014 kitchen. Use mirrors to create the illusion of space. While mosaic tiles create patterns of light and colour.
– Detail, detail, detail. Don’t let the idea of a ‘functional space’ stop you from creating personal details that are quirky and original.
– Get textured. Use wood, concrete/stone, glass and tile to reinvent your kitchen.
– Colours and Patterns. Go warm or go cool but be sure to use a range of tones to create a quality of depth. Pop-colours are a must.
– Get Artsy. Use statement pieces to create a sense of grandeur. They can be bought from that obscure little gallery on the corner or made by the kids at school.
– Retro reverence. Black and white checks? Yes, please.
If predictions are anything to go by, and we think they are, then interior design in 2014 is all about the personal. Involve the family in the re-invention of your kitchen, go arty with some mosaic or go professional with a silver finish and black and white tile. The choices are endless and entirely yours.But be sure to give your kitchen its much deserved attention this year.